Improving efficiency and accountability
Few industries have the same relationship with the land as mining. Location technology solutions have been widely used in the sector for years, particularly for exploration and environmental management. However, the use of location technology has evolved and companies are using these solutions to guide informed decision-making and save costs.
Providing context in complex environments
Location technology in mining is used for:
- Targeted mineral exploration
- Evaluation of mining conditions
- Model mine construction
- Safety inductions prior to site visits
- Displaying geochemical and hydrology data
- Improving facility management and policing
- Applying for mining permits
- Assessing environmental impact and plan land reclamation
- Managing land titles
- Stakeholder engagement
“THE DEMAND CHAIN VIEWER SOLUTION IS A COLLABORATION BY A NUMBER OF DEPARTMENTS WITHIN ROY HILL WITH NGIS, IT PROVIDES AN INNOVATIVE COMMON OPERATING PICTURE OF MULTIPLE SPATIAL DATA SOURCES AND LIVE FEEDS, WHICH IS VERY USEFUL.”
- SCOTT PATON, SUPERINTENDENT ENGINEERING INFORMATION MANAGEMENT, ROY HILl
Read the case Study
gis capacity building through training - Rio Tinto Iron Ore
Rio Tinto Iron Ore (Rio Tinto) champions a data driven approach to mining activities by leveraging location intelligence across a range of business units. From ground disturbance to environmental monitoring, the use of location data is pivotal to business operations and efficiency.
Through a modernisation program for their Geographic Information System (GIS), Rio Tinto saw the need to build capacity for their workforce to leverage the Enterprise Esri system they had previously implemented. Given that most GIS users at Rio Tinto are not trained in GIS, it was imperative that capacity building through training was provided to promote organisational awareness and productivity.
NGIS Australia worked in close collaboration with Rio Tinto Iron Ore to design a 12-month GIS training program that would enable the effective use of Esri technology across the business.
Read the case study
Spatial analysis serving all teams
Location technology applications for mining companies are not limited to usage by on-site teams, the solution can also extend to teams outside of typical geospatial areas. Custom built applications enable teams to:
- Detect potential issues in real time. GIS applications allow teams to exchange feedback faster which assists with early problem detection
- Reconcile an array of datasets into one platform. When presented in map form, this consolidated information can provide teams with greater context in decision making
- Increase stakeholder engagement and community support. Teams can create visualisations and scenarios using complex mining and exploration data via interactive GIS web applications
- Ensure health and safety compliance by strengthening environmental strategies, risk assessments and response times
TALK ABOUT YOUR NEXT PROJECT
We love to chat. Come and visit us in our Perth or Sydney office, Skype us from the beach/your couch/your desk or let’s go grab a coffee together. Get a quote for your app or other project.
Get in touch