ArcGIS for Geologists – Perth
Date(s) - 22/05/2017 - 24/05/2017
8:30 am - 4:30 pm
53 Burswood Rd, Burswood, WA, 6100
NGIS is a premium provider of GIS consultancy services to the mining industry. As a result, we can offer the most relevant, industry specific training possible. This three day course incorporates geospatial datasets, aerial photography, drilling results and other information specific to the Australian mineral province. Participants will work through exercises typical of the common tasks and problems faced by geologists modelling spatial information in mineral exploration and production.
The ArcGIS for Geologists course offers a specialised course designed to improve the ease of learning ArcGIS for geoscientists by using relevant datasets and tasks that are directly related to the mining industry. This course is designed for beginner to intermediate ArcGIS users.
No previous experience with ArcGIS software is required, although experience with using Microsoft Windows is essential.
- ArcMap Basics: An introduction to the ArcMap application interface and the main tools used to view and navigate datasets, including utilising the Magnifier and Overview windows.
- Exploring Datasets with ArcCatalog: Using the search function in ArcCatalog to search for datasets based on attribute and geographical properties, previewing datasets, connecting to data locations and working with metadata.
- Working with Map Documents: Creating and saving ArcMap Map Documents, creating spatial bookmarks and interrogating the map to identify features.
- Creating Layers From Datasets: Add and symbolise datasets to create functional layers in ArcMap, set coordinate systems, georeference imagery and create labels.
- Symbolise Geoscientific Data: Create a field observations point layer from a comma separated text file, use an observation attribute to set the angle of symbols, create and symbolise a faults line layer.
- Internet Data: Search and load datasets into ArcMap from a number of locations including servers from the Department of Mines and Petroleum in Western Australia.
- Create and Edit Datasets: Create shapefiles and Geodatabases, create points, lines and polygon features, explore snapping and advanced editing of tenement data.
- Exploring Attribute Tables: Joining tables, creating summary data, creating new columns and editing cell values for tables, and creating table queries.
- Making Maps: Set up and create an effective and functional map using insets and overviews, incorporating titles, legends, grids and graticules and scale bars.
- Graphs: Create graphs and from within ArcMap representing drillhole assay and collar data, then present the graphs on a map layout.
- ArcToolbox: View and utilise a sample of the vast array of wizard driven tools available in ArcToolbox, such as intersecting, defining a coordinate system for a layer, appending features and creating a new dataset.
Cost (AU$): $1600 + GST